My Six Month Plan, Post Brent Ozar Unlimited

brent-ozar-jeremiah-peschka-kendra-little-2013-vegas

Whatever the future brings, it must include more dinners with Brent in Las Vegas.

It’s a big week for me! I’m moving on from Brent Ozar Unlimited.

First, I Gotta Say Thanks

Starting and building Brent Ozar Unlimited was a wonderful ride. I loved the challenges and the victories, and I wouldn’t change a thing. I know Brent, Jessica, Doug, Erik, Erika, and Angie are going to keep building the awesomeness and bring amazing things to the SQL Server community. I’m right there in line to be their #1 fan.

Thanks for all the laughs and thoughts and insights you shared with me, guys.

Figuring Out What’s Next: A Six Month Plan

My questionable artwork will continue

There will still be doodling

Recently, a good friend said he had one regret about his life lately. If he had a ‘redo’ button, he’d take some time between jobs and plan a do-it-yourself sabbatical.

He didn’t know that he was giving me advice. But that conversation stuck with me.

I’m a really structured person. As an adult I first had jobs, and I built that into a career. Work is a really big part of my identity, but “work” isn’t the same thing as a job to me anymore. I’m lucky enough to have a career that I’m really interested in, and I love researching. I love writing. I love teaching.

I can spend six months executing on my own research, learning, and teaching plan. This is an opportunity I shouldn’t pass up!

Setting Goals and Milestones

Right now, I’m building the six month plan. I’m outlining where I want to be at the end of the six months and setting what I think are reasonable milestones along the way. I’m dreaming big and also trying to be realistic. I’m filling the whiteboard in my office with words and lines.

I’m not ready to announce all the specifics yet, but what I do will contain:

IMG_20140924_203249

There will always be jazz hands and thumbs up!

• Lots of blog posts here on SQL Server topics
  • Writing new presentations and submitting them to conferences, user groups, free events
  • A few drawings and posters, because POSTERS

And I don’t know yet what’s after the six months. I’ve got time to figure that out.

Why Not Have Some Fun?

My plan sounds a lot like work, I know. But it’s work with the most flexible schedule I’ll ever have in my life– no deadlines, totally self-imposed goals.

So it’s a great time to travel! Jeremiah and I are planning a trip to Amsterdam, Morocco, and Barcelona in early 2016. We’re also going to see lots of family around the country in December and January. California! Ohio! Virginia! Here we come.

2016 is Going to be Awesome

I’m extremely grateful for my time at Brent Ozar Unlimited. And so excited for what’s coming, too.

Previous Post
Does OPTION (RECOMPILE) Prevent Query Store from Saving an Execution Plan?
Next Post
Actual “Number of Rows Read” in SQL Server Execution Plans

Related Posts

No results found

64 Comments. Leave new

Hey, great post Brent.

Great post, Brent!

/ducks

Good luck Kendra. I have learned and much from you and enjoyed your articles and videos!

Congrats Kendra! Sounds like an awesome way to spend 6 months. I’m thankful for all you’ve contributed to the SQL community and look forward to more to come.

Congrats! I recall, almost literally about 15 minutes after deciding on a whim to pivot my career to focus on SQL Server, watching my first SQL Server training webcast, which was one of yours (First responder toolkit maybe? didn’t matter really, it was just encouraging to jump from general IT / Exchange / AD and find the SQL world so full of friendly, informative resources, by comparison). You’re a great teacher, so I hope you keep that up.

Enjoy your travel / time off! Good luck staying out of the veal pens, errr, I mean cubicle farms! 🙂

Good luck Kendra and enjoy your local and EU trips!

Good luck Kendra – I tried that “sabbatical” thing myself once or twice and highly recommend it. Going to miss your posts on Ozar so will be looking forward to some here eventually.

Hi Kendra,
I just wanted to thank you for all the great content you have provided over the last few years with Brent Ozar PLC. You have a wonderfully natural easy to follow presentation style and a wealth of knowledge. I look forward to seeing more and wish you the best for your break. You’ve more than earned it.

Rob

I’m gonna miss you guys, but I can’t WAIT to see the travel photos!

Good luck Kendra!! I’ll definitely miss you on BOz Unlimited Tuesday calls. Quick tip on your vacation plans, try to visit South America. Brazil, Argentina, Chile and Peru are good places to check.

Cheers,
@Supercyberal

I’m in shock! You and Jeremiah were such a huge part of BOU and gave it such personality. I can’t wait to see what you do next. Whatever it is, I know you will be a huge success.

Thank you, Pam. I’ve learned so much over the past years and am really excited to keep growing as a person and sharing with the community. Thanks for the vote of confidence, that’s always appreciated!

Hi Kendra,

Enjoy your well deserved vacation.

I really admire your work , and love your drawings !

Melville Pereira
December 1, 2015 10:38 am

I’ve enjoyed following your blogs and pearls of wisdom. I wish you and Jeremiah all the best in the future!

Wow – did not see that coming!

I have learned a lot from you over the years and I know whatever you do will be amazing – congrats and keep it up!

We went to visit relatives in the bay area over the thanksgiving weekend (Thursday-Monday for me). It was a tiring road trip/visit but I realized one thing: it’s fun when you enjoy time with family without having to worry about work.

Being able to do what you’re going to do – have fun moments away from work – is now considered a “privilege” for many working people. Sadly, it’s not an option that most can afford.

Good luck on the new adventure, Jeremiah & Kendra!

Thank you, Kendra! I’ve learned a TON from you during your time at Brent Ozar Unlimited, and I’m hoping to learn even more when a creative person like you has more time to be creative. It’s awesome that you found a way to take time away and love life.

Good luck Kendra! Always enjoyed your work on Brent’s site.

Best of luck, Kendra! Enjoy the time together and I hope you find fulfilling endeavors in the future.

I am glad to have attended your training this year and to be fortunate enough to met you and Jeremiah in person! You guys have helped me tremendously and I have learned so much from all of you. Good luck in your future endeavors! It sounds so much fun.

Big day! Been following your blog for quite a while. And it was so great finally meeting you and having dinner together during Chicago training this year. You are so wise, funny and down to earth. Wish you a great and adventurous 2016 and years ahead!

All the best Kendra! Its been awesome hearing you on brentozar, have been following your webcasts and sessions, truly mindblowing ! Have a good break and keep smiling 🙂

Kendra,

I’m so excited for you! Enjoy your time. I can’t wait to see your doodles and posters.

If you make it to Southern California, look me up. I’m happy to be a tour guide (especially for museums and dog parks.) 🙂

Mickey

Kendra,

You’re absolutely amazing and I wish you the best.

Hi there,
The best of everything that’s good to you, Jeremiah and Brent! I am absolutely certain you will all continue to be tremendously successful.
Best wishes,
Jen Stirrup

Mal Daughtree
December 1, 2015 3:37 pm

Kendra, Without a doubt, to me, you have been one of the most influential and amazingly respected SQL server commentators to date. This is by no means, in any way, denigrates the efforts and expertise the whole team has provided me over the years. You cut through the rubbish and provided an amazing balanced view on the topics to have taught. I wish you all the success in your future endeavours.

You are already missed.

Regards

Mal

Oh thank you so much! I’m so glad that I’ve made a difference.

I really do hope that I won’t need to be missed. I’ve really found a love for blogging and making videos and teaching over the last six years of my life and I very much intend to continue — specifically with lots of free content over the next six months, too!

All the best for the future and enjoy the holidays. I always enjoy your blogs, so keep them coming.

If EVER you get bored, come speak to our chapter, Calgary SQL PASS. 😉

Noel

Kendra, I wish you the best in this next phase of your adventures. Since I truly never understand any of what you do it is great that so many others are well aware of your talents. Stop in the woods of the Poconos if you are in Pa. Love, Mary

Mary! ZOMG Mary! You remain one of my favorite ex-coworkers after all these years. I know it was a long time ago, but sometimes it feels like I was having lunch at work with you and Mary Jo just yesterday. Thank you for the kind wishes and hope to see you again soon!

Just when I opened up today’s email from Brent Ozar Unlimited, I felt that something was unusually missing from it. And there was a shocker in there. “Kendra” was nowhere to be found in the team pic.

Realized it just today that you have moved on 🙂 All the best Kendra… Another site gets added to my daily learning materials – littlekendra.com 🙂

Posters!

I think your posters are so uniquely you. I think I still have the printout of your optimistic locking poster you handed out to people in Cleveland.

Congratulations!

Kendra,
I just added this rss into my feedly collection…
I can’t figure out now how much I learned with you until now. Thank you very much! I hope you find something wonderful in this new chapter of your life!
Cheers!!!

Sounds really exciting – best of luck!

Enjoyed your post and the latest sabbatical update.

You should write about “I love researching. I love writing. I love teaching”. It could be another series of blog posts. You could inspire others to do the same.