- Topic 1 – Welcome! Our Mission & Some Logistics (10 minutes)
- Topic 2 – Nonclustered Key Choice (51 minutes)
- Topic 3 – Keys vs. Includes (72 minutes)
- Topic 4 – Indexing Top & Order By (46 minutes)
- Topic 5 – Indexing a Non-SARGable Column (41 minutes)
- Topic 6 – Indexing for GROUP BY (58 minutes)
- Topic 7 – Choosing Between Similar Indexes (67 minutes)
- Topic 8 – Comparing Plans Between Two Clustered Tables (48 minutes)
- Topics 9 & 10 – Indexing an Untamed Server (50 minutes)
This live virtual seminar was recorded in June 2018.
SQL Server asks for a lot of indexes — but it does NOT always ask for the right index!
You need to know the essential principles of index design to create the best nonclustered index, filtered index, or indexed view to speed up your critical queries.
This course teaches you the fundamentals of creating disk-based, rowstore indexes in SQL Server in two four-hour sessions.
Grab all scripts for the course here: https://github.com/LitKnd/SQLWorkbooks/tree/main/learn_indexing_by_solving_problems
SQL Server & SSMS info
To practice writing and running queries, you want a dedicated test instance of SQL Server — one where you can do whatever you want and not need to worry about it bothering anyone else. It does NOT have to be anything fancy for this course, I personally run SQL Server on my laptop on a Virtual Machine.
I recommend using SQL Server Developer Edition, which is free for learning – this page has download links.
SQL Server Management Studio (SSMS) is also free, you can download the latest version here.