Should I Get Certified as a DBA? (Dear SQL DBA Episode 41)

Find out if getting certified will help you land an entry level DBA job. If you do want to get certified, get Kendra’s tips on preparing for the exam in this 17 minute episode.

Option 1: Listen to or download the audio podcast episode

You can listen on the run by subscribing to the podcast on iTunes , on Google Play, or plug this RSS feed into your favorite podcast app: http://dearsqldba.libsyn.com/rss

Option 2: Watch the YouTube video

Links from this episode

SQL Server User Groups: http://www.pass.org/Community/Groups/LocalGroups.aspx
SQL Saturdays: http://sqlsaturday.com/

6 Responses to Should I Get Certified as a DBA? (Dear SQL DBA Episode 41)

1. Wes May 4, 2017 at 9:18 am #

Microsoft Certs are interesting. I have my MCSA and MCSE in SQL Server Development on 2008r2. They actually do help with the resume in that many companies that have dedicated HR will see that as a match. They don’t know the worth of the actual exams… All they see is that you are certified in the main area of the job.

That being said, Kendra is TOTALLY correct in that experience is FAR more worth while.

• Kendra Little May 4, 2017 at 9:22 am #

“It’s also worth knowing that the answers Microsoft is wanting on the test isn’t necessarily the real-world solution.”

There’s a joke that the possible answers will include a SQL 2000 feature, an Oracle feature, a feature from the latest SQL Server version, and a goat. So your job is just to not pick the goat.

• Wes May 4, 2017 at 9:54 am #

lol. nice.

Remember the wretched XML questions on the 2008r2 tests? SO BAD.

2. JM May 5, 2017 at 4:05 am #

I found the prep for the tests to be invaluable as it made me touch some of the technology I usually do not have an opportunity to do in my day to day. I have yet to take one of those tests where I did not find at least one question that was just a gotcha with no real good answer.

True story: I took my first test for SQL 7 and after about 10 questions I got up and asked the test admin if she accidentally gave me the wrong test. She did not. Pretty embarrassing, but the next time I took it I had a solid year’s worth of everyday experience and it was a breeze. But without getting your hands dirty, even just on your own VM or made up project you come with, will never be replaced by just reading a book.

3. Miguel May 5, 2017 at 7:30 am #

I am in my mid-fifties and been a DBA for about 7 years. I feel I need to get my certification to show that I am current with the times.

4. RyanB May 8, 2017 at 2:50 pm #

This made me remember the time that a new dev was hired and he was introduced to the team as an MCSD & MCTP. I found out a couple of days later that this was his first job writing code, and my first thought was “You must be good at studying for tests.”